Sunday, September 25, 2005

getting my butt off the floor

Getting out and doing things is harder than it looks. But when you finally do, it is like a flash of lightning to the brain. Today, after going to a church service that was a bit of a wake-up call, I ventured out to play Ultimate Frisbee with a bunch of strangers from one of the church groups.

Now, for those of you who don't know what Ultimate Frisbee is, well here you go. Basically it is playing soccer with a frisbee. And because of the informality of the group, it also doesn't involve any contact. Real Fun, real safe. When I was a kid, I LOVED frisbee. I'm relatively good with a frisbee. Only problem is...I'm out of shape. Within the first 10 minutes of play, i had a HUGE stitch in my side. Ugh. But hey, so far, so fun. We played two games in 2 1/2 hours. The first, my team lost. The second, my team won, and I have the pride to say that I scored 3 points out of 11. There is nothing like finding yourself in the goal area, and having a guy chuck a frisbee at you, heaving yourself into the air and snagging it to score the point.

With everything that's been turning over in my head this weekend--with the prospect of giving notice at work tomorrow, I think I really needed that huge boost of confidence in myself that came with how well I did today. I had a lot of fun, found that yes, I am good at stuff, and that there is a group of people that *might* be looking forward to playing with me next sunday. I think it was God's way of telling me that things would be okay. That there is more to life than work and work-related problems.

I'm glad I went. Despite the fact that I am now so sore I can barely climb the stairs to my apartment.....but that should get better.

Ta!

2 Comments:

At 5:47 AM, Blogger Catherine said...

It makes me want to go play Ultimate, except, oh wait, I can't throw a frisbee to save my life. I forgot.

I agree, sometimes you need to GET OUTTA DODGE for a while and let your body do the work for a while to give your mind a break. Why do you think I'm a regular on the dance floor? :)

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger The Gossiper said...

Wow, Lori I'm so glad you have started a blog! I agree with your ideas about self expression and introspection. I think that it is only by having these "crises" that we ever find out who we are, what we want, and what we can do. In some way, you might be avoiding your midlife crisis when it is too late. Congratulations!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home