Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Rise tacks and sheets! Haul away on the port braces!

To me there is something mysterious and beautiful about a tall ship. The way the masts rise up out of the deck, carrying great billowing sails. The way the ship moves through the water.

I've liked ships for as long as I can remember. And ever since I first visited San Diego, I've loved visiting the San Diego Maritime Museum's family of ships. The beautiful 3-masted barque, Star of India, the charming little topsail schooner and privateer, the Californian, and most recently added, the lovely HMS Surprise, or as she was once known, the HMS Rose. Well, back in November I recieved an email from the museum, saying that they were going to offer one of their rare sail training courses. It is a 5 week course, covering the basics and some details of sailing tall ships. If one were to pass the course and final exams, one would be elligible for the Sail Crew, to go sailing on the Star of India when she goes out on her annual sail down the San Diego bay. And of course, to go out on the Californian whenever possible, as she sails constantly.

I freaked out when I saw that, and I've been desperately waiting for it ever since. I've gone to several Maintenance Crew meetings, on Sunday mornings and I really enjoyed those. I also got a lot of volunteer hours racked up, because to be on the Sail Crew, one also has to have as many volunteer hours as possible. Happily, my total drive time counts towards those hours, so that's an extra 2 and a half hours to me each visit! Yay! But most importantly, I've been meeting people, and making friends. So its been worth it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home